LEED® 401: Green Rater Training
Green Raters provide in-the-field verification services at each and every LEED for Homes Project. Please read the USGBC Green Rater Eligibility Requirements prior to signing up for this course.
Instructor: Carissa Sawyer
Hybrid | Self Paced + Field | 5 hours + 2 days field
The two-part LEED for Homes Green Rater Training is designed to prepare qualified participants to provide verification services on LEED for Homes projects. Applicants must meet initial qualifications and complete a two-part training.
Part 1 of the training consists of five (5) self-guided online training modules that introduce you to the roles and responsibilities of a LEED for Homes Green Rater, discuss applicable technical concepts, discuss verification specifics for various building types, and introduce the participant to the tools and resources that Green Raters will use.
Part 2 consists of a two-day instructor-led workshop. This highly interactive workshop builds upon the material presented in the online course, further preparing you to inspect LEED for Homes projects, and delves deep into the verification services you will provide.
Following the training, participants will be eligible to register and take the LEED for Homes Green Rater exam, administered through the Green Building Certification Institute, (testing fees not included in this course). Those who pass the exam may proceed to complete the required mentorship. Upon successful completion of the mentorship, the participant will be awarded the LEED for Homes Green Rater.
Credits & Attendance
In order to receive a certificate of completion participants must attend the entire workshop. If a participant misses any time they will not be issued a certificate of completion.
Participants that complete this course can receive the following credits:
GBCI CE Hours
Who Should Attend:
Individuals who meet the USGBC Green Rater Eligibility Requirements.
IMPORTANT: Only professionals who meet the requirements may take the course.
- Identify responsibilities of a LEED for Homes Green Rater in each phase of a project
- Manage and conduct verification activities
- Effectively use the project checklist file
- Communicate effectively with project teams and LEED for Homes Providers
- Apply the sampling protocol on applicable projects
- Prepare accurate and complete certification submittal packages
- Computer (required – if you will not be bringing a laptop, please contact us to rent one) – PC’s are recommended
- 3 required texts will be given to each student on the first day of class
Green Rater Eligibility Qualifications (IMPORTANT!)
The following are key steps to becoming a LEED for Homes Green Rater.
A candidate pursuing the Certificate must:
- Meet the minimum eligibility qualifications.
- Complete ONE of the following:
- LEED for Homes Program Review Webinar Series (submit copies of all 6 webinar certificates)
- Earn LEED AP Homes Credential (submit copy of GBCI certificate)
- Complete the online LFH Green Rater Eligibility Qualification form. Applicants who do not meet all requirements will NOT be eligible to become LEED for Homes Green Raters and should not proceed with registration.
- Complete the LEED for Homes Green Rater Training:
- Part 1: Full series of self-guided online learning modules (approximately 5 hours) and
- Part 2: Instructor-led LEED for Homes Green Rater Workshop (two full days)
- Register, take, and pass the LEED for Homes Green Rater exam administered by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI). (Cost for this step includes an additional $50 registration fee and a $250 exam fee). A certificate of completion will not be issued to a student if they miss any portion of the live course.
- Obtain exam completion certificate from GBCI.
- Complete the required components of LEED for Homes Green Rater Mentorship within 24 months of passing the exam. The mentorship components are done under direct oversight of a LEED for Homes Provider organization. It is strongly recommended that the applicant establish a working relationship with a Provider as early as possible within the LEED for Homes Green Rater pathway.
- Obtain LEED for Homes Green Rater Certificate from GBCI
As part of registration, you will be asked to select the workshop you will attend. Upon registration, you will receive an email with access to Part 1: Self-guided Online Modules 1.1-1.5. The email will also contain additional program information.
REMINDER: All required documents must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5 business days prior to attending the second part of this training (Part 2: Instructor-led LEED for Homes Green Rater Workshop).
Students are required to attend every class for the entire scheduled time. It is important that you are a full participant.
LEED for Homes Green Rater exam is administered by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI). (Cost for this step includes an additional $50 registration fee and a $250 exam fee).