RESNET® HERS Rater Training for BPI Building Analysts
Our RESNET HERS Rater Supplement Training for BPI Building Analysts is specifically designed for those who are already certified BPI Building Analysts who would like to add the RESNET HERS Rater certification to their list of qualifications. This training has two phases. The first phase is completed online and the second is done in the field during an EnergyLogic Academy HERS Rater field training.
Attention Mac Users
The REM/Rate program and SketchUp plugins in this course will not work on the Mac/Apple operating system.
Learn more about computer requirements here.
Start Date: Anytime
We are updating our shopping cart. In the meantime, please email us to register. Thank you for your patience!
The online portion of HERS Rater training covers the core knowledge for the HERS Rater certification. This shortened supplemental course is geared toward those that already hold the BPI Building Analyst certification. If you are not a certified Building Analyst but feel that you have enough background knowledge to be eligible for this supplemental course, please contact us to discuss your experience.
The second phase of training is completed by joining EnergyLogic during a HERS Rater Field training. The standard HERS Rater field training is four days. For BPI Building Analysts we reduce the training to three days. The first day of the full HERS Rater Field training is dedicated to labs teaching participants about the blower door, duct testing, and pressure diagnostics. We excuse the BPI Building Analyst from this day of training. The BPI Building Analyst joins the class on the second day when the first practice rating is completed. They then participate in day three and four of the training.
Online course includes:
- Modules on…
- RESNET Standards & Energy
- Efficient Mortgages Intro to Plans
- Plan Takeoffs
- REM/Rate Introduction
- Class project
- Practice Exam
- Instructions for the next steps in the certification process
Credits & Attendance
You will meet the listed learning objectives by completing the following activities in this course:
- Complete each module, and all items within each module
- Participate in the social interactions in the course
- Assume a leadership role when necessary; help other students when you have knowledge they don’t
- Manage your time in the course
- Approach the course with a desire to learn
- Complete the class project
Who Should Attend
Individuals who already have a BPI Building Analyst Certification and would like to become RESNET HERS Raters.
After taking this course students will be able to:
- Describe HERS Ratings, Standards, and industry structure
- Analyze a home based on building science
- Diagram a complete thermal enclosure system for a home
- Classify the mechanical systems in a home
- Explain the diagnostic testing processes and equipment for HERS Raters
- Perform energy modeling on a home
All students taking this course are required to have the following textbooks:
- Residential Energy – John Krigger & Chris Dorsi, Saturn Resource Management
- Energy Auditor Field Guide – John Krigger & Chris Dorsi, Saturn Resource Management
All candidates seeking HERS Rater Certification are required to pass three exams. These exams are purchased separately from RESNET.
Passing the course and national exam does not complete the HERS Rater certification process. The final step for HERS Rater candidates is selecting a HERS provider. After the selection of a HERS provider, candidates are required to complete a minimum of 3 probationary ratings under the supervision of the provider’s quality assurance designee. Once those ratings are complete, the HERS provider will issue the candidate the Rater certification. More details can be found in the The Path to Becoming an Energy Rater document.
Attention Mac Users
The REM/Rate program and SketchUp plugins in this course will not work on the Mac/Apple operating system. It is strongly recommended that you have access to a PC, or a Windows emulator on your Mac to use the software applications in this course.