RESNET® HERS Rater Training – Phase 2
There is nothing like spending time in the field with an experienced trainer to cement your classroom knowledge and prepare you for the “real” world of the HERS Rater. The field training provides participants with hands-on training with diagnostic equipment and testing processes, as well as one-on-one access to top-notch instructors. This is the second phase of the RESNET HERS Rater training.
Attention Mac Users
The REM/Rate program and SketchUp plugins in this course will not work on the Mac/Apple operating system.
Learn more about computer requirements here.
Start Date: Anytime
Location: Denver, CO
We are updating our shopping cart. In the meantime, please email us to register. Thank you for your patience!
The field portion of HERS Rater Training is 4 days of field training designed to introduce the HERS Rater inspection processes and diagnostic testing. During the field training we will complete 2 practice ratings according to the RESNET training standard. Practice ratings will be performed on an existing and new home.
This is an instructor facilitated course. Students will have one-on-one instruction on the testing equipment. Much of the field work will be done in a group setting where peer to peer interaction is used to complete the practice ratings.
Credits & Attendance
You will meet the course’s learning objectives through a combination of the following activities in this course:
- Purchase and practice using the RESCAZ Simulator prior to attending the field training.
- Review the blower door, duct blaster, and pressure diagnostic, CST, and Work Scope modules prior to attending class.
- Participate fully in the labs.
- Engage in the one-on-one coaching with the instructors.
- Assume a leadership role when necessary: voluntarily help other students when you have knowledge they don’t have.
- Approach the course with a desire to learn
- Complete the practice ratings.
- To complete this course you must attend all four days of the course for the entire time.
Who Should Attend
- Students who have completed EnergyLogic’s Online HERS Rater Training
- Students who have completed online HERS Rater Training with another company
- Building professionals interesteed in learning about the HERS Diagnostic Testing processes
- Certified Raters who would like more mentoring or training with the equipment and testing processes.
After taking this course students will be able to:
- Explain the process of measuring and inspecting a home for home energy ratings.
- Demonstrate the correct use of a manometer.
- Inspect a home using the blower door system.
- Assess a home based on the use of the duct testing system.
- Prescribe remediation based on combustion safety testing.
- Perform ratings according the RESNET Standards.
Required Field Training Materials
- Tape Measure
- Hard Hat & Respirator
- Architect Scale or Ruler
- Shoe Covers
It is also recommended that you purchase the following supplements:
- Energy Auditor Field Guide – John Krigger & Chris Dorsi, Saturn Resource Management
- Builder’s Guide to __________ Climates – Joseph Lstiburek (Select your climate)
- Insulate & Weatherize – Bruce Harley
Exams & Certifications
All candidates seeking HERS Rater Certification are required to pass four exams. These exams are not included in the purchase of this course. The exams are purchased separately from RESNET.
- RESNET National Rater Test
- RESNET CAZ & Work Scope Testing (2 exams)
- RESNET Practical Simulation Exam
Passing the course and national exam does not complete your certification. The final step for HERS Rater candidates is selecting a HERS provider. After the selection of your HERS provider, you are required to complete a minimum of 3 probationary ratings under the supervision of the provider’s quality assurance designee. Once those ratings are complete, the HERS provider will issue you the Rater certification. More details can be found in the The Path to Becoming an Energy Rater document.
RESCAZ Simulator & Practical Exam
Students are expected to purchase gain access to RESCAZ and RESNET Practical simulator prior to attending field training. Contact a training provider for access.
Field | Four Days